Friday, September 12, 2008

England - Bamburgh

Arrived in Bamburgh at the foot of her dominant Norman castle and massive sand dunes - beaches that go on forever, from one horizon to the other, and hardly a soul to be seen on this vast stretch of beautiful sand.


Northumberland's greatest heroine Grace Darling was born in Bamburgh and lived on the Farne Islands - just off the Bamburgh coast. Grace was a lighthouse keeper's daughter who along with her father William, saved the lives of nine victims of a shipwreck in 1838. This monument to Grace is erected in the graveyard of Saint Aidan's church in Bamburgh.
Definitely sitting in the top ten of my all-time favourite songs is this one by Dave Cousins of The Strawbs - here's a verse ...

You have been my lighthouse
In every storm
You have given shelter
You have kept me safe and warm
And in my darkest nights
You have shone your brightest lights
You are my saving grace
Darling I love you


1 comment:

william dick said...

Wow, this is a gorgeous spot ... beaches that go on forever. I love the "dog walking" photo!